Artwork by Wayne Reynolds.
Bill served as an editorial director, creative director, and director of R&D. While the exact role varied slightly from company to company, it usually centered on managing and guiding creative staff, and developing the creative strategy and product plans for a variety of roleplaying, board game, and novel lines.
Dungeons & Dragons/Roleplaying Director of Research & Design, Wizards of the Coast, LLC, 1997-2011
- Directed the game designers, game developers, game editors, and novel editors, on staff and freelance, to produce the Dungeons & Dragons roleplaying games, board games, miniatures, magazines, and novels; as well as the Star Wars roleplaying games and miniatures; and various smaller lines as applicable.
- Developed the product plans and design strategies for D&D roleplaying, board games, miniatures, and novels.
- Developed the product plans and design strategies for Star Wars roleplaying and miniatures.
- Developed the product plans and design strategies for a variety of supplementary lines including d20 Modern, Marvel Superheroes, Pokémon Jr., Gamma World, Alternity, and others.
- Successfully executed the launches of D&D 3rd Edition and D&D 4th Edition, the Eberron Campaign Setting, the Star Wars Roleplaying Game and Miniatures Game, the D&D Miniatures Game, among others.
- Worked with licensed partners to develop complimentary strategies and to approve the creative aspects of their products, including BioWare, Atari, Turbine, IDW, and others.
Alternity Creative Director, TSR, Inc., 1996-1997
- Directed the game designers, game developers, and game editors to produce the Alternity Science Fiction Roleplaying Game.
- Successfully executed the launch of the Alternity Science Fiction Roleplaying Game and ancillary products.
Creative Director/Editorial Director, West End Games, Inc., 1986-1990
- Directed the game designers, game developers, and game editors, on staff and freelance, to produce the Star Wars, Ghostbusters, Paranoia, and Torg roleplaying game lines.
- Developed product plans and design strategies for each line.
- Successfully created, developed, and launched Torg: Roleplaying the Possibility Wars games and novels.