Images from The Elder Scrolls Online, (c) 2015 ZeniMax Media Inc.
Bill's written game products, novels, short stories, story pitches, game proposals, marketing copy, voice-over scripts, web columns, and more. He's led the story development of various IPs, including Dungeons & Dragons. Here are some of the products Bill worked on that can be most easily classified as pure writing (as opposed to the hybrid writing and game design demonstrated on the pages that follow).
The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited 2015
The Elder Scrolls Online 2014
Senior Writer/Content Designer specializing in narrative design, story development, and script writing. Joined the team in January, 2012. Duties include:
- Implement narrative story content, creative writing, and editing in a lore-rich, beloved fantasy franchise.
- Develop characters and write dialogue and journal text for multiple zones across the game world, including Coldharbour, Craglorn, Deshaan, Eastmarch, Glenumbra, and Rivenspire.
- Primary writer for Orsinium and Dark Brotherhood DLCs.
- Collaborate daily with other designers to develop stories, improve story flow, develop zone plots, and develop recurring characters.
- Give voice and personality to fan-favorite characters, including Cadwell, Darien, Gwendis, Naryu, King Kurog, Eveli Sharp-Arrow, and Rigurt the Brash.
The Elder Scrolls Online: Summerset Chapter 2018
Primary writer for the Summerset Chapter, helping to give voice and personality to characters such as Razum-dar, Ritemaster Iachesis, Valsirenn, Leythen, and Darien, among others.
The Elder Scrolls Online: Morrowind Chapter 2017
Primary writer for the Morrowind Chapter, helping to give voice and personality to characters such as Lord Vivec, Barbas, Seryn, Barilzar, Narsis Dren, and Naryu, among others.
"The storytelling and writing are taken to new heights, continuing a trend of improvement in each content release since Orsinium in 2015." -- IGN
The Elder Scrolls Online: Dark Brotherhood DLC 2016
Primary writer for the Dark Brotherhood DLC, helping to give voice and personality to characters such as Matron Astara, Green-Venom-Tongue, Primate Artorius, and the Speaker, among others. This DLC includes the fan-favorite quest starring Naryu and Razum-Dar, "The Sweetroll Killer."
The Elder Scroll Online: Orsinium DLC 2015
Primary writer for the Orsinium DLC, helping to give voice and personality to characters such as King Kurog, Chief Bazrag, Eveli Sharp-Arrow, Forge-Mother Alga, and Narsis Dren, among others.
The Mark of Nerath 2010
- Novel set in the Dungeons & Dragons core world, introduced in the 4th Edition of the famous roleplaying game.
- Introduced characters and situations that launched a multiplatform story arc that unfolded in novels, comics, organized play events, and computer games.
- Weekly column for the digital version of Dragon Magazine.
- Provided product sneak peeks, news, and events from the desk of the Director of R&D for the Dungeons & Dragons brand.
Dungeons & Dragons for Dummies
- With co-author Richard Baker.
- We produced two editions of the how-to books for Wiley Publishing, one focused on D&D 3.5 and one focused on D&D 4th Edition.
Dungeon Master for Dummies
- With co-author Richard Baker.
- Provided valuable how-to advice to players and game masters interesting in running D&D roleplaying adventures.
- The second edition of the book, which covered Dungeon Mastering for D&D 4th Edition, was revised and updated by James Wyatt from our original manuscript.
Darkness Shared 2001
- Short story set in the Star Wars universe.
- Originally appeared in Star Wars Gamer Magazine, issue number 5.
- Written to commemorate the dark side of the Force, describing events 1,000 years before the events in the film, Star Wars IV: A New Hope.
A Guide to the Star Wars Universe
- Lucasfilm Licensing commissioned this dictionary-style reference guide to the exploding Star Wars Expanded Universe.
- An updated guide with material from the second movie trilogy was published in 2000.
Carnival Voice 1992
- "Carnival Voice" short story set in the Torg: Roleplaying the Possibility Wars cosmverse.
- Published by West End Games.
- Story collection edited by Ed Stark.